The XenDesktop 7.5 VDA Core Services desktop and all server patches released prior to September 2014 have issues that require an immediate fix. The VDA Core Services patches have a flaw in how they configure the Citrix performance counters. These flaws will prevent tools like Desktop Director HDX monitors (and the HDX Monitor Standalone tool) from working properly when attempting to view the performance metrics of a session.
Citrix has released a new patch to correct this. This new patch must be installed on top of any previous patches.
Patches for XenDesktop 7.5 desktop OS x64 VDA Core Services:
- ICAWS750WX64008 will break the Citrix monitoring performance counters.
- ICAWS750WX64011 will fix the performance counters, but does not contain any of the previous hotfixes (so you will need both).
Patch details can be viewed here:
- Desktop OS x86: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX141329
- Desktop OS x64: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX141330
- Server OS x64: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX141331
This issue will show up as the following when viewing in each of their respective tools:
- Desktop Director
HDX Monitor will refuse to connect to the target device.
- Event Viewer
You will receive an event on the DDC that the Desktop Director web page was served from. See the example below.
Log Name: Application
Source: Citrix Director Service
Date: 10/13/2014 10:43:51 AM
Event ID: 5
Task Category: None
Failed to connect to data source ‘The broker service reported an error. See the event log for more information.’ (‘http://xenddc1.contoso.com/Citrix/BrokerAdminService/v2′).
Verify that the data source is available.
Console operation: ‘Retrieving running applications details…’
Additional diagnostics information (error message):
‘Failed to execute broker synchronous command=’GetIcaLatency’